SIAM at IUPUI Constitution
RULES OF PROCEDURE
This Rules of Procedure (hereinafter called “Rules”) apply to the SIAM Student Chapter called “Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Chapter of SIAM”.
The Chapter to which these Rules apply is formed by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics and shall operate within the Bylaws of the parent organization. The SIAM bylaws specify how Chapters are formed; see the SIAM bylaws for details. The Chapter shall not affiliate with any other organization without first obtaining the written approval of SIAM. Provisions for SIAM Student (University) Chapters are contained in the SIAM Bylaws and are included in these Rules. No provisions of these rules shall be construed so as to contradict the Bylaws of SIAM.
ARTICLE I -- PURPOSE
The objectives of SIAM, as established in the Certificate of Incorporation, are:
- To further the application of mathematics to industry and science;
- To promote basic research in mathematics leading to new methods and techniques useful to industry and science;
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas between mathematicians and other technical and scientific personnel.
Purposes of the Chapter shall be consistent with the objectives of SIAM:
- To encourage undergraduate and graduate students to study applied mathematics;
- To learn how mathematics is applied in industry and in other sciences;
- To generate interest in participating in SIAM sponsored activities.
ARTICLE II -- ACTIVITIES
Here is a list of intended activities of the Chapter:
- Organize talks by students and faculty active in applied mathematics research;
- Sponsor talks by guest speakers (including speakers available through the SIAM Visiting Lecturer Program);
- Encourage undergraduate students to participate in the COMAP MCM (Mathematics Contenst in Modeling);
- Arrange off-campus trips to places such as Eli Lilly and Roche;
- Maintain a website for the IUPUI STudent Chapter of SIAM;
- Host mathematical software (i.e., MATLAB, XPP) workshops to increase graduate and upper-level undergraduate students’ knowledge of computing.
ARTICLE III -- INSTITUTION SERVED
Chapter members will be recruited from IUPUI.
ARTICLE IV -- MEMBERSHIP
- Any person engaged or interested in mathematics or computing and their applications shall be eligible for membership in this Chapter. SIAM encourages chapters to be interdisciplinary, including members from multiple departments. Graduate and undergraduate students of IUPUI are eligible for student membership in the Chapter.
- The Chapter has only a general memebership with no membership dues.
- Chapter members shall have the privileges of SIAM membership only if they are regular or student members of SIAM. Members are eligible to participate in meetings, field trips, and other chapter activities.
- All members of the chapter who are students enrolled in the sponsoring institution(s) are eligible for free student memberships in SIAM. Chapter is responsible for providing list of its student members to SIAM so that complimentary student membership in SIAM can be processed.
- Termination of a student membership will take place upon graduation or withdrawal from IUPUI.
ARTICLE V -- SPONSORSHIP
- The Sponsor is IUPUI.
- Faculty Advisor for the Chapter will be appointed by the Department of Mathematics. In the event said Advisor relinquishes his/her position, the Sponsor shall appoint a new Advisor. The responsibilities, rights and duties of the Faculty Advisor shall be those normally assigned to the Faculty Advisor of student organizations of the Sponsor, but in addition, the Faculty Advisor is expected to take leading role in the development of the Chapter activities consistent with the objectives of SIAM.
ARTICLE VI -- OFFICERS
- The Chapter shall have a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary and a Treasurer. Officers shall be Regular or Student Members in good standing with SIAM, and shall be chosen from Student Members of the Chapter. The Chapter may establish additional officers as it deems necessary to conduct its affairs.
- The President shall preside at the meetings of the Chapter (and the Chapter Executive Committee (see Article VII below)). In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President. In the absence of the latter, the Secretary shall assume said duties.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of the affairs of the Chapter, handle correspondence, and submit an annual report of Chapter activities to the Secretary of SIAM, which report shall be suitable for publication in SIAM News or its equivalent.
- The Treasurer shall receive and take custody of Chapter funds, and shall submit an annual Treasurer's Report and other financial reports, as requested, to the Treasurer of SIAM. The annual Treasurer's Report shall be prepared as of the end of the academic year and shall be transmitted to the Treasurer of SIAM by no later than 30 days following the end of the academic year.
- Officers shall serve terms of one year.
ARTICLE VII -- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The executive committee shall consist of a president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. Additional members shall be added to the executive committee as deemed necessary.
- The executive committee shall appoint replacement members in the event of a vacancy caused by an unexpired term.
ARTICLE VIII -- OTHER COMMITTEES
- Nominations, including self-nominations, for executive committee positions will be takn prior to the Chapter’s annual meeting. Positions will be voted upon at the close of the academic year.
ARTICLE IX -- MEETINGS
- There shall be at least 6 meetings per year.
- The Chapter shall conduct a business meeting once per year during the month of April. Other business meetings may be called by the President or the Treasurer on two weeks notice.
ARTICLE X -- CHAPTER FUNDS
- The Chapter may levy an activity fee for Chapter events and otherwise raise funds in any lawful manner consistent with these Rules and Bylaws and Certificate of Incorporation of SIAM.
- There will be no dues for Chapter membership.
- The Chapter shall deposit all unused funds to which it has legal title in excess of $200 in an insured savings account, unless current operating commitments are in excess of that amount or unless the Chapter Treasurer obtains a written authorization from the SIAM Treasurer.
- The Treasurer shall maintain books of account that show income and expense items for all activities and balances for all accounts of the Chapter.
- The Chapter may request a grant or loan from the Treasurer of SIAM under the provision of Article XIi, Chapter 8 of the Bylaws of SIAM. Such requests shall be made by submission of “Request for Funding” form to SIAM and include a current financial statement for the Chapter and a proposed budget for the requested funds.
- Other than seeking funds from the sponsoring institutions of the chapter, no officers or member of the Chapter may apply for a grant to support the Chapter activities or enter into any contract to support such activities or provide services, without approval of the President and the Treasurer of SIAM or the Executive Director acting on behalf of the Treasurer.
ARTICLE XI -- AMENDMENTS
- These Rules may be altered or amended with the approval of the SIAM Board of Trustees. Submission to the board of proposal alterations or amendments shall be made only after approval by majority vote of members of the Chapter present (or represented by proxy) at a scheduled meeting. Any proposed alterations or amendments shall be advertised via e-mail to Chapter members at least two weeks prior to vote on said alterations.
ARTICLE XII -- TERMINATION OF THE CHAPTER
- A Chapter may terminate itself by the unanimous vote of the members of the Chapter present (or represented by proxy) at a scheduled meeting, provided that notice of the proposed termination and the meeting at which it is to be considered has been given to all Chapter members at least 30 days in advance.
- A Chapter may be terminated by the board if there has been no Chapter activity for one year.
- In the event a Chapter terminates, the funds to which it has legal title shall revert to the account of SIAM.
ARTICLE XIII -- STATEMENT OF COMPLIANCE WITH CAMPUS REGULATIONS
- This organization shall not discriminate on the basis of age, color, ethnicity, gender, national origin, disability or handicap, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. This policy will include, but is not limited to, recruiting, membership, organization activities, and opportunities to hold office.
- This organization will not conspire to engage in hazing, participate in hazing, or commit any act that causes or is likely to cause bodily harm or personal degredation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm to any fellow student or personal attending the institution.
- This organization shall comply with all University and campus policies and regulations as well as local, state and federal laws.
Approved, SIAM Board of Trustees, December 3, 1977 Revised, SIAM Board of Trustees, June 21, 2003